Crisis Intervention and Critical Incident Management (CISM)
Triumph has extensive experience in the management, response and recovery process of critical incidents and traumatic events. With over 30 years experience with workers in the field of trauma, disaster medicine, hospitals both metropolitan and country, educational institutes, community organisations and non- government agencies.
Triumph is a recognised consultancy in the field of Crisis Intervention, trauma, traumatic stress and grief. Maurissa Ailion, principal consultant is a registered trainer and member of the advisory committee, Crisis Intervention and Management Australasia (CIMA).
Triumph provides education and training, stress management, resilience, strategic planning, psychological preparation in the workplace to help prevent or mitigate potential traumatic stress.
We also respond to traumatic incidents by providing immediate small group support (defusing), powerful event group support (formal debriefing), crisis management briefings(CMB) transition services (RITS) as well as one-on-one support to facilitate healthy recovery.
Responses to critical incidents or traumatic events can include:-
- Psychological “damage control” or provision of “Emotional First Aid”
- Reducing the acute process of psychological crisis
- Providing stabilisation, management of distress and restoration of independence and self control
Individual support after a Traumatic Incident
- Confidential therapeutic intervention (one-on-one support)
- A respectful process that is ethically bound, whereby individuals are afforded the opportunity to explore their concerns about the incident and their reactions to an ‘abnormal event’, develop stress management skills and accelerate recovery.
Immediate small group support (Defusings)
- A confidential group process led by Triumph’s trained team of practitioners to help normalise reactions to critical Incident immediately after the event. Creating a climate that encourages individuals to recognise and deal with incidents in a positive and supportive manner to help with recovery.
- Helping to prevent the development of unresolved issues resulting from the incident and reduce cognitive, emotional and physiological symptoms.
Crisis Management Briefings
Triumph together with management provides leadership credibility, and provides factual information to groups of community members or workers about an incident. This helps to dispel rumor and re-establish a sense of communal wellbeing. Stress management strategies are also provided.
Powerful event group support (formal debriefing)
- Critical incident stress debriefing is a confidential group process based upon core principles of crisis intervention facilitated by a specialist trained team.
- A structured process with set protocols enabling participants to vent their experiences to aid in their recovery from the stress associated with the event.
- Education is provided about the physiology of stress; stress reactions and survival techniques. This process is held after a large scale incident or when assessed by the Triumph team.
N.B. A formal debriefing process is NOT an ‘operational critique’ ‘audit’ or ‘review’ of the Incident, or critique of individuals or their performance. That is a separate course that may be undertaken by your management.